Yet another day of perfect weather for the July Monthly Mile. The husband and wife duo of Jason and Dara Carlson broke the 6-minute mark for the first time in personal records of 5:48 and 5:52 respectively. Since starting Smart Running Jason has knocked 57 seconds off his Mile time and Dara 33 seconds.
Fellow Garfield track and cross country assistant coach Coulter Leslie made it out to provide Jake Koenigsberg some much needed competition. The two ran together through the first 1200 meters until Koenigsberg pulled away for the win in a Smart Running best of 5:04.
Below are the complete results and be sure to join us for the next Monthly Mile on Saturday, August 6th, 11:30am at Garfield!
- Jake – 5:04
- Coulter – 5:13
- Jason – 5:48
- Dara – 5:52
- Jane – 7:48
- Anna – 8:03
- Ketti – 9:26
Jim (left) and Serena (middle) finished their last Smart Running workout yesterday evening in preparation for the Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon this Saturday. They completed 3 intervals of 1200m (3/4 mile) at race pace with 1 minute rest in between as part of their tapering. And 2 x 150m simulated finishes.
Serena hopes to better her personal best of 1:56:20 set at the 2010 Tacoma Narrows race. Jim will finish his very first full marathon of 26.2 miles. Both are the very first Smart Running members and have made tremendous strides in fitness and form. Good luck and thanks to them for all of their hard work and dedication!
Along with our weekly training sessions, Smart Running also offers intensive 3-hour clinics to jumpstart people into better form. Just last weekend we had the privilege of working with the good folks out at CrossFit Bainbridge (pictured above) thanks to head coach Rick DeMile. Everyone saw immediate improvement in their form and also gained a better understanding of running theory & mechanics through the Pose Method. In the past we have also conducted clinics at The Lab and CrossFit 206. If you are interested in hosting a Smart Running clinic please email Marc@SmartRunning.org. Here is an outline of the material covered:
- Run theory
- Form drills
- Stride before & after video analysis
- Uphill & downhill technique
- Footwear advice
- Quick, intense workout
- Training methods & planning
And here are the benefits you can achieve from participating in a Smart Running intensive clinic:
- Run faster & more comfortably
- Prevent impact injuries: shin splints, plantar fasciitis, runner’s knee
- Improve speed at all distances from the 40-yard dash to a full marathon
- Increase muscular endurance and sense of pacing
Sunny and 70 degrees – perfect weather for our 9 participants. Jake Koenigsberg and Dara Carlson bettered their Leaderboard times by 23 and 8 seconds respectively. Michael Liao and Joanie Doherty made impressive debuts by breaking the 7-minute mark. And the Washington Wizard, Dave Mazzeo, improved 32 seconds from his February Monthly Mile. Check out their times below.
Join us for our next Monthly Mile on Saturday, July 2, 12:00pm at Garfield!
- Jake Koenigsberg – 5:08
- Dara Carlson – 6:11
- Michael Liao – 6:30
- Sam Chesneau – 6:32
- Dave Mazzeo – 6:47
- Joanie Doherty – 6:52
- Clara Doctolero – 7:49
- Nicole Wong – 8:48
- Sunga Rose – 8:50
Garfield junior Byron Howell held on to win the Washington class 4A 400-meter dash in a state and personal best time of 48.30 seconds. He led for the first 300 meters of the race before battling through the finish line with Skyview senior Brad Michael who clocked in at 48.46 seconds. Check out the video provided by Flotrack here.
Here are other notable Bulldog finishes which you can watch video of by clicking on the event name:
- 3rd, Taylor McKinney, triple jump (37 feet, 1/4 inches)
- 4th, Howell, 200-meter dash (21.98)
- 5th, Nhautrey Brown, McKinney, Elise Herrmannsfeldt, Baileh Simms, 4×100-meter relay (49.30)
- 8th, Chris Wozniak, 3200-meter run (9:21.26)
The Garfield boys and girls track & field teams will be well represented in the 4A Bi-District Championships this Wednesday and Friday at Marysville-Pilchuck High School. Bulldog sophomore Baileh Simms, pictured above in purple, will compete in the 100-meter dash, 4×100 & 4×200 relays, and the long jump. She won the KingCo 4A title in the latter with a leap of 16 feet, 9.75 inches.
Junior sprinter Byron Howell blazed his way to victories in the 200 in 21.83 seconds and the 400 in 48.62 seconds, earning him the fourth and second fastest times in Washington state this year. And senior Chris Wozniak pulled off a double as well with first place finishes in the 1600-meter run and 3200 with personal records of 4:23.63 and 9:26.62.
Garfield boys district qualifiers (qualifying time or mark)
- Howell – 200 (21.83), 400 (48.62), 4×100 (43.41), 4×400 (3:26.43)
- Wozniak – 1600 (4:23.63), 3200 (9:26.62)
- Mohammed Jagana – 110 hurdles (16.89), 300 hurdles (45.40), triple jump (38-11.25)
- Aaron Schlossman – 800 (2:00.03), 4×400 (3:26.43)
- Tony Wroten – 100 (11.36), 4×100 (43.41)
- Pierre Wright – 100 (11.45), 4×100 (43.41)
- Jonas Oppenheimer – 800 (2:00.77), 1600 (4:26)
- William Jefferson – 4×400 (3:26.43), triple jump (38-10)
- Brandon Jimerson – 4×100 (43.41), long jump (19-3.5)
- Jamala Myres II – 4×400 (3:26.43)
- Ryan Peterson – 3200 (9:33.05)
- Jamie Coughlin – 3200 (9:33.51)
- Darien Gates – 4×100, 4×400
- Hee-Joon Choi – 4×100
- James Phillips – 4×400
Garfield girls district qualifiers (qualifying time or mark)
- Simms – 100 (12.92), 4×100 (49.75), 4×200 (1:45.06), long jump (16-9.75)
- Taylor McKinney – 100 (13.16), 4×100 (49.75), 4×200 (1:45.06), triple jump (36-2)
- Nhautrey Brown – 100 hurdles (16.22), 4×100 (49.75), 4×200 (1:45.06), triple jump (37-6)
- Elise Herrmannsfeldt – 100 (13.09), 4×100 (49.75), 4×200 (1:45.06)
- Aliana Dinish – shot put (31-11.5), discus (82-7)
- Annie Schlossman – 300 hurdles (49.62)
- Annie Rorick – 4×100, 4×200
Smart Running members Jason (far left), Dara (second from left), and Jake (second from right) were all smiles before and after the Vancouver Half Marathon last Sunday. All three set personal records for the 13.1 mile distance as did Miriam Calicdan in the Tacoma City Half Marathon. Congratulations to everyone for your incredible performances!
- Jake Koenigsberg – 1:31:41 (his half marathon debut!)
- Jason Carlson – 1:47:58 (former PR was 1:49:19 in the flat Phoenix Half Marathon)
- Dara Carlson – 1:51:30 ( 3+ improvement minute from old PR)
- Miriam Calicdan – 1:56:48 (first time under 2 hours and 9+ minute improvement from old PR)